Chernaya's 3-set victory is margin in 4-3 win over Liberty
BUIES CREEK, N.C. -- Karolina Chernaya won a three-set decision for the decisive point Thursday in Campbell's 4-3 women's tennis victory over Liberty at the Nisbet Tennis Center.
Chernaya lost a first-set tiebreaker to Alexandra Sheeran, then rallied to win the second set also in a breaker (7-1). She then won the third 6-1 as Campbell (2-7, 1-0) not only won its Big South Conference opener, but snapped a five match losing streak.
Liberty won the doubles point by claiming decisions at the second and third positions. However, Campbell claimed straight sets victories at the first, second and fourth spot.
Tamara Stanic improved to 5-2 on the spring season with a 6-4, 6-1 victory at number one over Cameron Richard. Ana Maria Ortiz earned a 6-2, 6-1 victory over Rebekah Jenkins at the second position. Natasha Afridi claimed a 6-2, 6-4 triumph against Brittany Yang at the fourth post.
Campbell had suffered three 4-3 setbacks in its recent streak, all of which came while Chernaya was out of action due to injury.
Liberty posted straight-sets singles wins by Nicola Wellman at the fifth position and Valerie Thong and number-six.
The Camels continue Big South Conference play Saturday with a 2:00 p.m. start at Gardner-Webb.
Liberty vs Campbell
Feb 28, 2013 at Buies Creek, N.C.
(Nisbet Tennis Center)
Campbell 4, Liberty 3
1. Tamara Stanic (CAM) def. RICHARD, Cameron 6-4, 6-1
2. Ana Maria Ortiz (CAM) def. JENKINS, Rebekah 6-2, 6-1
3. Karolina Chernaya (CAM) def. SHEERAN, Alexandra 6-7 (2-8), 7-6 (8-3), 6-1
4. Natasha Afridi (CAM) def. YANG, Brittany 6-2, 6-4
5. WELLMAN, Nicola (LIBERTYW) def. Ewa Telenga 6-4, 6-2
6. THONG, Valerie (LIBERTYW) def. Lourdes Ros 6-2, 6-1
1. Tamara Stanic/Karolina Chernaya (CAM) def. JENKINS, Rebekah/WELLMAN, Nicola 8-6
2. BODA, Jessie/YANG, Brittany (LIBERTY) def. Ana Maria Ortiz/Natasha Afridi 8-6
3. RICHARD, Cameron/THONG, Valerie (LIBERTY) def. Ewa Telenga/Lauren Vaughn 8-3
Liberty 2-5, 1-1
Campbell 2-7, 1-0
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (6,2,1,5,4,3)