Campbell finishes with scoreless draw at High Point

Campbell finishes with scoreless draw at High Point

HIGH POINT – In a game that saw 32 combined shots, eight corner kicks and multiple scoring opportunities for each team, Campbell (9-3-2 overall, 3-0-2 BSC) and High Point (5-8-3, 3-1-2 BSC) played 110 minutes of scoreless soccer to finish with a 0-0 draw on Thursday night at Vert Stadium on the High Point campus.

Four minutes into the first half, Ashley Clark (Cary, N.C.) hit a cross to Kirsty Meyer (Fredericksburg, Va.), who headed a shot that went wide right. Both teams would trade possession in the central third of the field for the majority of the next 15 minutes.

With 20 minutes remaining in the half, High Point's Becca Hemby crossed a ball that Camel keeper Ryann Torrero (Burbank, Calif.) was able to intercept before it found its way to the intended Panther player on the backside of the defense.

Campbell had its best scoring opportunity of the first half three minutes later as Marisa Muller (Wilmington, Del.) played a ball ahead to Clark. Clark took a few touches and fired a shot that HPU keeper Andrea Ritchie made a diving save for. Meyer got a touch on the rebound, but her attempt hit the crossbar and the Panthers were able to clear.

The two teams went into halftime scoreless, with the Camels having a 7-4 advantage in first half shots, three of which were on goal. Torrero made one save in the half, while Hemby put High Point's one shot on frame with 11:30 remaining in the period.

The second period saw HPU edge the Camels 8-4 in shots, including a 3-2 advantage in shots on goal. Panther freshman Jacky Kessler had a long throw in at the 52:00 mark that led to a shot for teammate Brielle Spencer.

CU had a great scoring opportunity with just over 25 minutes remaining in regulation when Clark controlled a ball from Cissy Nitz (Greensboro, N.C.), turned and fired a shot towards the upper left corner of the goal that Ritchie made another diving save to stop. Clark led the Camels with six shots during the contest, accounting for three of the team's five shots on goal.

Campbell's best scoring chance in overtime came on back-to-back corner kicks in the first overtime, but the Panthers were able to clear the ball away each time without allowing a Camel shot attempt. Likewise, CU would defend three High Point corner kicks in the second overtime, keeping the host team off the board. HPU collected six shots over the two overtime periods, but only put one of them on goal. Torrero finished with five saves for Campbell, matching her High Point counterpart.

"We have not played really well the last two games," head coach Todd Clark said after the match. "Tonight we were without three starters, and I was very pleased with how our other players stepped up in their absence. We're not happy that we didn't win, but I am pleased with the effort and the fact that we didn't allow two-time defending BSC champion High Point to win either."

Campbell will play the final match of a three-game Big South road stretch on Saturday night in Lynchburg, Va. against the Liberty Flames. First kick is set for 7 p.m. High Point returns to the pitch next Thursday, traveling to Radford for a matchup with the first place Highlanders.