Softball Battles at Coastal Carolina
BUIES CREEK, N.C. - Campbell resumes Big South action at Coastal Carolina on Friday with a doubleheader at 2 p.m. The Camels play the finale of the three-game series against the Chanticleers on Saturday with the first pitch slated for 1 p.m.
The contests will be played at Carolina Forest High School in Myrtle Beach, S.C. Be sure to follow @GoCamelsSB on twitter for update-to-date information on the start time for Saturday with rain in the forcast.
Fans that are unable to make the trip can track the action with live stats and listen to free audio through the Big South Network via links on the softball schedule page.
A schedule change has Campbell hosting N.C. Central on Monday with a doubleheader beginning at 4 p.m. The games were originally scheduled to be played in Durham, N.C., after a rainout on Feb. 26.
Next week, North Carolina also comes to Amanda Littlejohn Stadium on Wednesday at 6 p.m.
Campbell Camels (17-9, 3-0) at Coastal Carolina Chanticleers (16-11, 2-0)
Mar. 22-23, 2013 • Myrtle Beach, S.C. • Carolina Forest High School
Scouting Report: Coastal Carolina was selected as the preseason-favorite by the Big South coaches and enters the weekend with a 16-11 overall and 3-0 league mark. The Chanticleers have defeated Missouri State (10-6, 5-2), Rhode Island (10-2, 7-2), Loyola Chicago (5-1, 5-3), Drexel (8-0), Albany (8-0), Western Carolina (4-0), Georgetown (3-0, 6-0), Middle Tennessee (10-0, 2-0) and Longwood (11-5, 6-5, 3-0). Bri Chiusano paces the squad in runs (16), hits (26) and batting avg. (.341). The run-producing threat has been Korey Haden with 20 RBI and a league-leading nine home runs. In the circle, a two-time Big South Pitcher of the Week Kiana Quoles is 7-5 with a 1.65 ERA and 63 strikeouts in 76.1 innings of work. Ashley Bagwell has notched five victories and carried a 2.73 ERA. Head coach Kelley Green is in her fourth season at the helm of the Chanticleer program.
Series History: The Chanticleers hold a 43-13 advantage in the all-time series, but the Camels did take a 2-1 series win last year in Buies Creek, N.C. An amazing 20 contests have been decided by one run, including five extra-inning games. Campbell's lone win, 1-0, on the road came on Mar. 7, 1992. The Camels have an 11-12 mark at home, while are just 1-8 at neutral sites and 1-4 in the Big South Tournament against Coastal Carolina. The Chanticleers ended the Camels season in the Big South Tournament.
- In the last time out, singles by sophomore 3B Brittany Bruce and junior 2B Shaela Churchill provided the Camels with the game-winning run on second base in the B7, but South Carolina escaped Amanda Littlejohn Stadium with a 2-1 win.
- Freshman C Courtney Klingler blasted a solo homer, her eighth of the season, against the Gamecocks to tie the team-lead with junior 1B Raven Lee.
- Klingler and senior Brittany Arnn swept the Big South Choice Hotels Player and The Crons Brand Pitcher of the Week, respectively. Klingler posted a .429 batting and 1.214 slugging and .500 on-base pct. with three home runs, two doubles and seven RBI, while Arnn went 2-0 in the circle with 0.62 ERA and six strikeouts in 11.1 innings of work.
- Klingler was also tabbed as the College Sports Madness Big South Player of the Week (Mar. 18).
- Pacing the offense is sophomore shortstop Ericka Nesbitt with .460 batting avg. She has totaled a Big South-leading 40 hits and registered .515 on-base pct. Nesbitt blasted a walk-off grand slam vs. Gardner-Webb-2 for her first-career home run.
- The team lead in home runs with eight and RBI with 29 is held by senior first baseman Raven Lee.
- Consistent play has been found by Sarah Forgas, who has recorded a .358 avg. with four triples, two homers and 18 RBI.
- The pitching staff compiled a 1.38 ERA during the 8-1 home stand with 43 strikeouts in 66 innings pitched. Freshman Courtney Roberts (4-0) paced the staff followed by sophomore Julia Callicutt (2-0) and Arnn (2-2). Arnn allowed just on earened run and posted a 0.27 ERA.
- Head coach Drew Peterson has notched 370 wins in 12 seasons at Campbell and 653 in his career.
- A schedule change has added a home doubleheader on Monday against N.C. Central beginning at 4 p.m. North Carolina comes to Amanda Littlejohn Stadium on Wednesday at 6 p.m.
GoCamels.com Softball Coverage
- The official website of Campbell athletics has up-to-date student-athlete bios, schedules, notes and statistics.
- Be sure to follow @GoCamelsSB on Twitter for in-game updates along with news and information about the program
- Live stats are available for each game the Camels play.
- For many contest home and away, a free audio broadcast can be found to supplement live stats.
- Be sure to check GoCamels.com for recaps, notes and video interviews with head coach Drew Peterson and student-athletes following each game.
- Check out the Campbell Softball team's Facebook page at Facebook.com/GoCamelsSB.
Camels vs. Coastal Carolina
- Jones paced Campbell in four meetings last year with .429 avg., 6 hits, one doubles and four RBI.
- Forgacs (.385), Lee (.364) and Nesbitt (.300) all hit .300 or better for the Camels.
- The only home run for Campbell was blasted by Taylor McGee.
- Campbell was 7-of-8 in stolen bases and posted a .302 avg., .358 slg. and .368 on-base pct.
- Scarborough went 2-0 in the circle with 2.69 ERA and six strikeouts in 13 innings.
- The staff posted 2.20 ERA with 15 strikeouts in 28.2 innings.
Coastal Carolina vs. Campbell
- Quolas (.400), Pierre (.385), Kassuhn (.375) and Hayden (.308) led the Chanticleers.
- Pierre notched two doubles and four RBI.
- Hayden hit the only round tripper.
- Coastal Carolina compiled .224 batting, .306 slugging and .355 on-base pct. in four contests.
- Bagwell (2-1) and Quolas (0-1) helped the pitching staff post 2.33 ERA and 33 striketouts in 27.0 innings.
Sweeping Big South Awards (Mar. 18)
- Freshman catcher Klingler earned Big South Choice Hotels Player of the Week, while senior Brittany Arnn was tabbed as Big South The Crons Brand Pitcher of the Week.
- Klingler - .429 batting, 1.214 slugging, .500 on-base, 2 2B, 3 HR, 7 RBI, 20 PO, 0 E, 1.000 Fielding pct.
- Arnn - 0.62 ERA, 2-0, 11.1 IP, 6 K
- Klingler also received College Sports Madness Big South Player of the Week.
- Klingler became first rookie to be named player or pitcher of the week.
- Campbell also swept the weekly awards on Feb. 11.
Finding the Offense
- A Klingler 3-run homer in the B5 against Gardner-Webb-1 capped a 5-run inning and ignited the offense in a 6-5 win.
- The Camels scored 18 runs against the Bulldogs in the fifth inning of the three-game series and connected on six HR.
- Sophomore shortstop Ericka Nesbitt registered her first-career home run, a walk-off grand slam, to clinch an 11-3 run-rule win in game two.
- Nesbitt delivered a two-RBI single to center to implement the run-rule, 9-1, in the finale.
- Junior first baseman Raven Lee registered two home runs and seven RBI in the series to take the team lead in both categories.
Pitching Has Stepped Up
- Over the past 10 games, the pitching staff has been a primary reason the Camels are 9-1.
- A 1.59 ERA has been tallied by the group of four hurlers with opponents batting .246.
- Roberts has a 5-0 mark and 2.38 ERA with 19 strikeouts in 32.1 innings and four complete games, including an eight-strikeout one-hitter vs. Drexel.
- Arnn (2-1) tallied 16 strikeouts in 19.1 innings during the stretch, allowing just one earned run.
Power-Outage (Feb. 24 - Mar. 13)
- In those 12 games, the Camels scored just 3.8 runs per game on 7.5 hits
- The team's batting avg. was .286 with a .413 slugging pct.
- The most runs that Campbell scored during the stretch was six against Northern Kentucky and Norfolk State.
- Nine home runs were blasted, while 11 doubles were recorded.
- Nesbitt (.537), Jones (.436) and Forgacs (.394) carried the offense, registering 52 of the team's 90 hits.