ROCK HILL, S.C. – No. 2 Campbell fell to No. 3 Presbyterian on Saturday morning, 4-3, in the Big South Championships as William O'Connell, 6-1, and Rafael Berghaus, 6-4, for the Blue Hose posted third-set victories when play resumed. Rain forced the contest to be suspended at 3:08 p.m. on Friday afternoon at the Winthrop Memorial Tennis Courts.
Campbell (14-7) had a 3-2 lead on Presbyterian with sophomore Steven Billington (Conway, Wales, U.K.) holding a 3-1 advantage in the third set, while classmate Adrien Rossignon (Arlon, Belgium) was down early in his decisive frame, 1-0.
The Blue Hose (21-9) came back to steal the match from the Camels and advance to the finals against No. 1 Coastal Carolina at 1:30 p.m.
Campbell started off strongly as the senior pairing of Josep Baro (Barcelona, Spain) and David Clavera (Barcelona, Spain) took the decisive point, 8-2. Junior Fernando Guillen (San Louis Potosi, Mexico) and Rossignon posted an 8-6 victory at No. 1.
Presbyterian, who also notched a 4-3 win on April 6 in Clinton, S.C., tallied the first two singles points to earn a 2-1 advantage as Danny Bruce, 6-1, 6-1, at No. 4 and Gonzalo Asis, 6-3, 6-1, at No. 6 tabbed wins.
The score evened up at 2-all, when Guillen registered a 6-1, 6-3 victory at No. 1. Putting the Camels up 3-2 was Baro at No. 5 with a pair of 6-2 wins.
After O'Connell won a first-set tiebreaker, Rossignon responded with a 6-3 triumph to force a third frame. Billington also dropped the first set, 7-5, against Berghaus before knotting the contest with a 6-1 win in the second.
Campbell had a successful 2013 season finishing second in the league at 6-2, while Guillen was honored as the Big South Player of the Year and selected to the all-conference singles team. Rossignon and Gullien were voted to the league's all-doubles team.
Presbyterian College 4, Campbell 3
Apr 19, 2013 at
(Winthrop Memorial Tennis Courts)
1. Fernando Guillen (CAM) def. MILLS, Grayson (PCM) 6-1, 6-3
2. O'CONNELL, William (PCM) def. Adrien Rossingnon (CAM) 7-6 (7-4), 3-6, 6-1
3. BERGHAUS, Rafael (PCM) def. Steven Billington (CAM) 7-5, 1-6, 6-4
4. BRUCE, Danny (PCM) def. David Clavera (CAM) 6-1, 6-1
5. Josep Baro (CAM) def. BRIGHAM, Andrew (PCM) 6-2, 6-2
6. ASIS, Gonzalo (PCM) def. Rik Van Gerwen (CAM) 6-3, 6-1
1. Fernando Guillen/Adrien Rossingnon (CAM) def. BRIGHAM, Andrew/O'CONNELL, William (PCM) 8-6
2. Josep Baro/David Clavera (CAM) def. BERGHAUS, Rafael/MILLS, Grayson (PCM) 8-2
3. BRUCE, Danny/SNEAD, Edward (PCM) def. Steven Billington/Rik Van Gerwen (CAM) 8-2
Presbyterian College 21-9
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (4,6,1,5,2,3)
No. 2 Campbell vs. No. 3 Presbyterian College
Semifinals of the Big South Conference Men's Tennis Championship
Winner will advance to championship match Saturday at 1:30 p.m.
Match suspended at 3:08 p.m. on Friday, resumed at 9:08 a.m. on Saturday.