Men’s Tennis Leads PC, 3-2, in Rain-Suspended Match
ROCK HILL, S.C. – As rain halted the semifinal match at the Big South Championships on Friday afternoon, No. 2 Campbell, who leads Presbyterian, 3-2, needs either sophomores Steven Billington (Conway, Wales, U.K.) or Adrien Rossignon (Arlon, Belgium) to take their decisive third sets when play resumes on Saturday at 9 a.m. to move onto the finals against No. 1 Coastal Carolina.
A 3-1 advantage was held by Billington, while Rossignon was down 1-0 early in his third set bout when rain began falling at the Winthrop Memorial Tennis Center.
The Camels are looking to move to the finals for the first time since finishing runner-up at the 2004 A-Sun Tournament as the No. 7 seed. Campbell has played in six-straight semifinal contests in league championships.
Campbell started off strongly as the senior pairing of Josep Baro (Barcelona, Spain) and David Clavera (Barcelona, Spain) took the decisive point, 8-2. Junior Fernando Guillen (San Louis Potosi, Mexico) and Rossignon posted an 8-6 victory at No. 1.
Presbyterian, who notched a 4-3 win on April 6 in Clinton, S.C., tallied the first two singles points to earn a 2-1 advantage as Danny Bruce, 6-1, 6-1, at No. 4 and Gonzalo Asis, 6-3, 6-1, at No. 6 tabbed wins.
The score evened up at 2-all, when Guillen registered a 6-1, 6-3 victory at No. 1. Putting the Camels up 3-2 was Baro at No. 5 with a pair of 6-2 wins.
After William O'Connell won a first-set tiebreaker, Rossignon responded with a 6-3 triumph to force a third frame. Billington also dropped the first set, 7-5, against Rafael Berghaus before knotting the contest with a 6-1 win in the second.
Campbell 3, Presbyterian 2 -Postponed (Rain) resumes on Sat. at 9 a.m.
April 19, 2013
Rock Hill S.C. (Winthrop Memorial Tennis Courts)
1. Fernando Guillen (CAM) def. Grayson Mills (PC), 6-1, 6-3
2. William O'Connell (PC) vs. Adrien Rossignon (CAM), 7-6 (7-4), 3-6, 1-0
3. Rafael Berghaus (PC) vs. Steven Billington (CAM), 7-5, 1-6, 1-3
4. Danny Bruce (PC) def. David Clavera (CAM), 6-1, 6-1
5. Josep Baro (CAM) def. Andrew Brigham (PC), 6-2, 6-2
6. Gonzalo Asis (PC) def. Rik Van Gerwen (CAM), 6-3, 6-1
Order of Finish (4, 6, 1, 5, ?, ?)
1. Fernando Guillen/Adrien Rossignon (CAM) def. Andrew Brigham/William O'Connell (PC), 8-6
2. Josep Baro/David Clavera (CAM) def. Rafael Berghaus/Grayson Mills (PC), 8-2
3. Danny Bruce/Edward Snead (PC) def. Steven Billington/Rik Van Gerwen (CAM), 8-2
Order of Finish (3, 1, 2)