Men’s Tennis Completes Comeback Against Liberty, 4-3
ROCK HILL, S.C. – No. 7 Liberty scored the first three points, but Campbell showed poise and fight by rallying to a 4-3 victory to open the Big South Championships on Thursday afternoon in Rock Hill, S.C. Seniors David Clavera (Barcelona, Spain) and Josep Baro (Barcelona, Spain) and freshman Rik Van Gerwen (Valkenswaard, Netherlands) won decisive final frames at the Winthrop Memorial Tennis Courts.
The Camels survived and advanced to the semifinals of the Big South Championships against either No. 3 Presbyterian or No. 6 Gardner-Webb on Friday at 2 p.m. Campbell (14-6) moved to 4-2 on the season in matches decided by a 4-3 margin.
After Baro, 6-0, and Van Gerwen, 6-1, knotted the contest at three-all with wins in the third set, Clavera battled in a long-grueling match to a 6-4 triumph at No. 4. The Barcelona, Spain, native took the first set in a tiebreaker, 7-4, before Jorge Azvero tied the contest up, 7-5.
Holding off Guillem Secanell, who took the second set, 7-4, at No. 5 was Baro in taking the first and third sets, 6-2 and 6-0, respectively. Baro has been stellar in league play, moving to 8-1 against Big South opponents.
The second point for the Camels against Liberty (11-11) came from Van Gerwen, who notched, 6-3 and 6-1 victories sandwiched between at 6-3 triumph by Egon Amaai at No. 6.
Starting the rally for Campbell was sophomore Steven Billington (Conway, Wales, U.K.) with a straight-set win at No. 3 by scores of 6-4, 6-1.
Liberty started the afternoon by securing the doubles point by taking the matches at No. 3 and No. 3. Azuera and Dillon Segure, 8-6, and Siim Tuus and Secanell, 8-3, won their matches.
Making a statement at No. 1 was Tuus with a 6-3, 6-0 triumph over Big South Player of the Year Fernando Guillen (San Louis Potosi, Mexico). The momentum continued for the Flames, who built a 3-0 advantage, after Shea Thomas posted 6-1, 6-4 victories at No. 1.
Campbell 4, Liberty 3
4/18/2013 at Rock Hill, SC
(Winthrop Memorial Tennis Courts)
1. TUUS, Siim (LIBERTYM) def. Fernando Guillen (CAM) 6-3, 6-0
2. THOMAS, Shea (LIBERTYM) def. Adrien Rossingnon (CAM) 6-1, 6-4
3. Steven Billington (CAM) def. SEGUR, Dillon (LIBERTYM) 6-4, 6-1
4. David Clavera (CAM) def. AZUERO, Jorge (LIBERTYM) 7-6 (7-2), 5-7, 6-4
5. Josep Baro (CAM) def. SECANELL, Guillem (LIBERTYM) 6-2, 5-7, 6-0
6. Rick Van Gerwen (CAM) def. SAMAAI, Egon (LIBERTYM) 6-3, 3-6, 6-1
1. Fernando Guillen/Adrien Rossingnon (CAM) vs. THOMAS, Shea/SAMAAI, Egon (LIBERTYM) 6-6, unfinished
2. AZUERO, Jorge/SEGUR, Dillon (LIBERTYM) def. Josep Baro/David Clavera (CAM) 8-6
3. TUUS, Siim/SECANELL, Guillem (LIBERTYM) def. Steven Billington/Rick Van Gerwen (CAM) 8-3
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (1,2,3,6,5,4)
Big South Men's Tennis Tournament Game 4
#2 seed Campbell vs #7 seed Liberty
Winner advance to play winner of Game 5