BUIES CREEK, N.C. -- Fernando Guillen handed Joran Vliegen his first singles loss of the spring season for the decisive point Wednesday in Campbell's 4-3 men's tennis victory over East Carolina at the Nisbet Tennis Center.
Josep Baro also won a 3-set match at number-five singles for Campbell (13-6), which has won 4 of its last 5 outings. East Carolina (15-4) saw its 3-match win streak halted.
ECU claimed the doubles point as Vliegen teamed with Colin Roller for an 8-2 triumph over Guillen and Adrien Rossignon at the top spot. Nicholas Soriano and Patriek Wolterbeek earned an 8-5 win over Steven Billington and Rik Van Gerwen at the third position.
Baro and David Clavera won the second doubles match 8-3 against John Schmitt and Mario Martinez.
Clavera and Van Gerwen earned straight-sets singles wins at the fourth and sixth places, respectively for the Camels.
Campbell returns to action Apr. 18 in the Big South Conference Championship quarterfinals at Rock Hill, S.C.
1. Fernando Guillen (CAM) def. Joran Vliegen (ECU) 6-4, 5-7, 7-5
2. Nicholas Soriano (ECU) def. Adrien Rossingnon (CAM) 2-6, 6-4, 6-3
3. John Schmitt (ECU) def. Steven Billington (CAM) 6-2, 6-4
4. David Clavera (CAM) def. Damien Brenard (ECU) 6-2, 6-3
5. Josep Baro (CAM) def. Colin Roller (ECU) 2-6, 7-6 (7-2), 6-2
6. Rik Van Gerwen (CAM) def. Mario Martinez (ECU) 6-1, 6-4
1. Joran Vliegen/Colin Roller (ECU) def. Fernando Guillen/Adrien Rossingnon (CAM) 8-2
2. David Clavera/Josep Baro (CAM) def. John Schmitt/Mario Martinez (ECU) 8-3
3. Nicholas Soriano/Patriek Wolterbeek (ECU) def. Steven Billington/Rik Van Gerwen (CAM) 8-5
East Carolina 15-4
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (4,3,6,2,5,1)