CLINTON, S.C. – With the match tied at three-all, Gonzalo Asis notched a 6-2 win in the third set at No. 6 against Campbell freshman Rik Van Gerwen (Valkenswaard, Netherlands) to secure the 4-3 win for Presbyterian at the Templeton Tennis Courts.
Presbyterian (17-9, 4-3 Big South) began the afternoon by taking the doubles point, 2-1. Sophomore Steven Billington (Conway, Wales, U.K.) and Van Gerwen tabbed an 8-6 win at No. 3 for the Camels.
Two straight-set wins by seniors Josep Baro (Barcelona, Spain), 6-4, 6-1, and David Clavera (Barcelona, Spain), 6-2, 6-0, at No. 4 and 5, respectively allowed Campbell to knot the contest at two after William O'Connell to a win at No. 2.
A victory by Grayson Mills over junior Fernando Guillen (San Louis Potosi, Mexico) put the Blue Hose ahead, 3-2. The loss for Guillen snapped an eight-match win streak and was the first time the junior fell in a league singles contest.
Two matches in the third set remained and it was Billington, who triumphed 6-4, 4-6, 6-4, and knotted the score at three-all.
Van Gerwen dropped his first league contest of the season after taking the first set 6-1.
Campbell begins a two-match homestand on Monday against South Carolina State at 2 p.m. to close out the regular season slate.
Presbyterian College 4, Campbell 3
Apr 06, 2013 at Clinton, S.C.
(Templeton Tennis Courts)
1. MILLS, Grayson (PCM) def. #90 Fernando Guillen (CAM) 6-4, 6-3
2. O'CONNELL, William (PCM) def. Adrien Rossingnon (CAM) 6-1, 6-0
3. Steven Billington (CAM) def. BRUCE, Danny (PCM) 6-4, 4-6, 6-4
4. David Clavera (CAM) def. BERGHAUS, Rafael (PCM) 6-2, 6-0
5. Josep Baro (CAM) def. BRIGHAM, Andrew (PCM) 6-4, 6-1
6. ASIS, Gonzalo (PCM) def. Rik Van Gerwen (CAM) 1-6, 6-3, 6-2
1. BRIGHAM, Andrew/O'CONNELL, William (PCM) def. Fernando Guillen/Adrien Rossingnon (CAM) 8-2
2. BERGHAUS, Rafael/MILLS, Grayson (PCM) def. David Clavera/Josep Baro (CAM) 8-3
3. Steven Billington/Rik Van Gerwen (CAM) def. BRUCE, Danny/SNEAD, Edward (PCM) 8-6
Campbell 11-6, 6-2 Big South
Presbyterian College 17-9, 4-3 Big South
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (4,2,1,5,6,3)