BUIES CREEK, N.C. - Senior Josep Baro (Barcelona, Spain) came back to take the final two sets at No. 5 to clinch a 4-3 victory for Campbell at Liberty on Wednesday afternoon. The Camels won the match by taking four singles matches at the Hersey Esbenshade Tennis Courts.
The match was on the line as Baro and Samaai Egon battled in the final set with the contest tied at three. A 6-3 victory by Baro lifted Campbell to 11-5 overall and 6-1 in the Big South.
The Flames fell to 10-7 overall and an even 3-3 in league matches.
In the doubles competition, the teams split the first two contests with the Camels' pair of sophomore Steven Billington (Conway, Wales, U.K.) and freshman Rik Van Gerwen (Valkenswaard, Netherlands) taking an 8-5 decision at No. 5.
Long rallies were played a No. 1 as Liberty behind Shea Thomas and Egon Samaii clinched the first point of the match, 8-5.
The Camels comeback began in singles play as Billington, Van Gerwen and junior Fernando Guillen (San Louis Potosi, Mexico) pushed Campbell into the lead 3-1. All three won in straight sets.
Liberty continued to battle as Shea Thomas and Jorge Azuero brought the match all square at 3-all before Baro finished off the match.
Campbell heads to Presbyterian on Saturday for a 2 p.m. match. The Camels finish off the regular season with contests against South Carolina State and East Carolina on Monday and Wednesday, respectively.
Campbell 4, Liberty 3
4/3/13 at Lynchburg, Va.
(Hershey-Esbenshade Tennis Courts)
1. #90 Fernando Guillen (CAM) def. TUUS, Siim (LIBERTYM) 6-3, 6-3
2. THOMAS, Shea (LIBERTYM) def. Adrien Rossingnon (CAM) 6-0, 6-3
3. Steven Billington (CAM) def. SEGUR, Dillon (LIBERTYM) 6-1, 6-0
4. AZUERO, Jorge (LIBERTYM) def. David Clavera (CAM) 6-4, 6-3
5. Josep Baro (CAM) def. SAMAAI, Egon (LIBERTYM) 4-6, 6-2, 6-3
6. Rik Van Gerwen (CAM) def. VAUGHAN, Stan (LIBERTYM) 6-2, 6-1
1. THOMAS, Shea/SAMAAI, Egon (LIBERTYM) def. Fernando Guillen/Adrien Rossingnon (CAM) 8-5
2. SEGUR, Dillon/AZUERO, Jorge (LIBERTYM) def. David Clavera/Josep Baro (CAM) 8-6
3. Steven Billington/Rik Van Gerwen (CAM) def. TUUS, Siim/SECANELL, Guillem (LIBERTYM) 8-6
Campbell 11-5 (6-1 Big South)
Liberty 10-7 (3-3 Big South)
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (3,6,1,2,4,5)