BUIES CREEK – Campbell captured three singles matches and the doubles point en route to a 4-3 victory over UNC Greensboro in its regular season finale Saturday afternoon. Fernando Guillen picked up a win for the Camels (10-10, 4-3) in the two spot.
The Camels jumped out to a quick 1-0 lead after capturing the doubles point. Guillen and David Clavera defeated Randy Phillips and Chanon Varapongsittikul in the two position (8-3), while August Iwdal and Steven Billington knocked off Cameron Smith and Jimmy Roueche in the three position (8-5). The duos are 11-7 and 3-1 respectively.
Guillen knocked off Ahmet Sarioglu (6-7 6-1 6-2) in the two spot. The San Louis, Potisi native is 14-6 this season and 5-2 in her last seven matches.
Billington and Ondrej Kralik picked up singles wins for the Camels in the five and six spots. Kralik finishes the regular season at 2-6 while Billington finishes at 6-6.
Campbell returns to the courts Thursday, April 19 at the Big South Tournament in Asheville, N.C.
Campbell Men vs UNC Greensboro
Apr 14, 2012 at Buies Creek, N.C.
Campbell Men 4, UNCG 3
1. Orcun Seyrek def ROSSIGNON, Adrien (CAMM) 6-4 6-2
2. GUILLEN, Fernando (CAMM) def. Ahmet Sarioglu 6-7 6-1 6-2
3. Chanon Varapongsittikul def CLAVERA, David (CAMM) 6-2 6-1
4. Randy Phillips def BARO, Josep (CAMM) 7-6 6-3
5. BILLINGTON, Steven (CAMM) def. Cameron Smith 6-2 6-2
6. Kralik, Ondrej (CAMM) def Jimmy Roueche 6-4 7-6
1. Ahmet Sarioglu/ Orcun Seyrek (UNC-G) def ROSSIGNON, Adrien/BARO, Josep (CAMM) 8-7
2. CLAVERA, David/GUILLEN, Fernando (CAMM) def. Randy Phillips/ Chanon Varapongsittikul 8-3
3. AUGUST, Iwdal/BILLINGTON, Steven (CAMM) def. Cameron Smith/Jimmy Roueche 8-5