Men’s Tennis Tops Winthrop 4-3
ROCK HILL, S.C. – The Campbell University men's tennis team won its first Big South conference match in 17 years Friday afternoon by defeating Winthrop 4-3 in Rock Hill, S.C. August Iwdal clinched the match for the Camels (3-1, 1-0) with his victory in the six spot.
The Camels jumped out to an early 1-0 lead by capturing the doubles point. Josep Baro and Adrien Rossignon defeated Nadav Ruppin and Guy Kubi 8-3 in the one spot. Fernando Guillen and David Clavera improved to 2-0 in doubles play after their victory over Dylan Comerford and Rich Meade in the two spot (9-7).
Campbell jumped out to a quick 2-0 lead after victories by Guillen and Baro in the one and five spots. Baro knocked off Meade 6-1, 6-1, while Guillen defeated Ruppin 6-4, 6-1. The San Louis Potoci, Mexico native is now 3-1 in singles play this season.
Winthrop put their first point on the board after Kubi dealt Rossignon his first loss of the year in the two position. However, Iwdal sealed the win for the Camels by knocking off Luka Stanic 7-6, 6-1. This is the first career win at Campbell for the Gothenburg, Sweden native.
The Camels continue their four match road trip Saturday as they take on Davidson. Match time is set for 11:00 am.
Campbell 4, Winthrop 3
1. GUILLEN, Fernando (CAMM) def. RUPPIN, Nadav (WUM) 6-4, 6-1
2. KUBI, Guy (WUM) def. ROSSIGNON, Adrien (CAMM) 6-4, 6-0
3. HIROKAWA, Yuta (WUM) def. CLAVERA, David (CAMM) 4-6, 6-3, 1-0
4. COMERFORD, Dylan (WUM) def. DOMINIK, Kaniewski (CAMM) 6-4, 2-6, 1-0
5. BARO, Josep (CAMM) def. MEADE, Rich (WUM) 6-1, 6-1
6. AUGUST, Iwdal (CAMM) def. STANIC, Luka (WUM) 7-6, 6-1
1. ROSSIGNON, Adrien/BARO, Josep (CAMM) def. RUPPIN, Nadav/KUBI, Guy (WUM) 8-3
2. GUILLEN, Fernando/CLAVERA, David (CAMM) def. COMERFORD, Dylan/MEADE, Rich (WUM) 9-7
3. HIROKAWA, Yuta/STANIC, Luka (WUM) def. AUGUST, Iwdal/KRALIK, Ondrej (CAMM) 8-5
Winthrop 2-5 (0-1)
Campbell 3-1 (1-0)