Campbell started the match with a 1-0 lead by capturing the doubles point. Larbi Lamzouri and Josep Baro defeated David Salazar and Miguel Cortez (8-6) in the two spot while Davy Sum and Ondrej Kralik clinched the point for the Camels by picking up a victory in the three spot.
A-Sun freshman of the year, Fernando Guillen, gave Campbell a 2-0 lead by defeating Tanner Brown (6-0, 6-2) in the three position. Shortly following that match, David Clavera put the Bisons in a 3-0 hole by defeating Miguel Cortez (6-3, 6-1) in the four spot.
Kralik clinched the match for the Camels by beating Mario Hernandez (6-3, 6-2) in the six position. The final three matches were called due to time constraints.
Campbell will face second seeded East Tennessee State in the semifinals tomorrow at 4:30 p.m. Stetson and top seeded UNF will face off in the other semifinal at 2:00 p.m. This is the fourth season in the row that the Camels have reached the semifinals, and the third year in a row that they will be facing ETSU. The Bucs defeated Campbell 5-2 on March 29.
"I think we are going to have a good chance to win against ETSU," said Sum. "It was close last time we played them and it is going to be hard without Dominik (Kaniewski), but I still think we have a good shot to beat them."
Coverage of the CU vs ETSU match can be viewed live here.
Live stats of the entire match can be viewed here.
Apr 14, 2011 at Deland, Fla.
Sun Championship First Round
Campbell 4, Lipscomb 0
1. #124 Davy Sum (CAM) vs. Oliver Strecker (LIP) 6-4, 4-5, unfinished
2. Larbi Lamzouri (CAM) vs. David Salazar (LIP) 6-4, 4-3, unfinished
3. Fernando Guillen (CAM) def. Tanner Brown (LIP) 6-0, 6-2
4. David Clavera (CAM) def. Miguel Cortez (LIP) 6-3, 6-1
5. Josep Baro (CAM) vs. Colby Shaw (LIP) 7-6, 1-4, unfinished
6. Ondrej Kralik (CAM) def. Mario Hernandez (LIP) 6-3, 6-2
1. Oliver Strecker/Joe McArdle (LIP) def. David Clavera/Fernando Guillen (CAM) 8-3
2. Larbi Lamzouri/Josep Baro (CAM) def. David Salazar/Miguel Cortez (LIP) 8-6
3. Davy Sum/Ondrej Kralik (CAM) def. Tanner Brown/Colby Shaw (LIP) 9-7