DeLAND, FLA. - The Hatters took three out of four singles matches, and captured the doubles point as they defeated Campbell 4-3, Saturday afternoon at the Stoll Tennis Center. Davy Sum remained undefeated (9-0) for the Camels (7-2, 1-1 A-Sun) after his victory in the one spot.
Stetson (10-3, 2-1) jumped out to an early 1-0 lead after earning the doubles point. Sum and Dominik Kaniewski earned the lone doubles victory for Campbell over Cesare Gallo and Didrik Berg (8-2), in the one position.
Kaniewski picked up a singles victory over Berg in the four spot (6-3, 6-4). Sophomore, Josep Baro won his fifth singles match of the season by defeating Hans Adrian Riseng in the six position (3-6, 6-2, 7-5).
Stetson clinched the match after Alexander Hackett's victory over David Clavera in the five spot (6-4, 1-6, 7-5).
The Camels return to the courts for a pair of matches against Flagler College and Tennessee Tech Monday, March 7 in St. Petersburg, Fla. The match against Flagler begins at 2:30 while the match against Tennessee Tech will take place that evening.
Campbell vs Stetson
March 5, 2011
Stetson 4, Campbell 3
1. Davy Sum (CU) def. Maksim Levanovich (STET) 4-6, 7-5, 1-0 (withdraw inj.)
2. Cesare Gallo (STET) def. Larbi Lamzouri (CU) 6-2, 6-1
3. Njal Stene (STET) def. Fernando Guillen (CU) 6-4, 3-6, 6-4
4. Dominik Kaniewski (CU) def. Didrik Berg (STET) 6-3, 6-4
5. Alexander Hackett (STET) def. David Clavera (CU) 6-4, 1-6, 7-5 *(clinching match)
6. Josep Baro (CU) def. Hans Adrian Riseng (STET)3-6, 6-2, 7-5
1. Sum / Kaniewski (CU) def. Gallo / Berg (STET) 8-2
2. Swanteson / Levanovich (STET) def. Lamzouri / Guillen 9-7
3. Hackett / Stene (STET) def. Kralik / Baro 8-4