Men's Soccer outlasts ETSU 4-3; extends unbeaten string to four

Men's Soccer outlasts ETSU 4-3; extends unbeaten string to four

BUIES CREEK, N.C. - Keegan Terry's 80th minute goal was the difference as Campbell defeated East Tennessee State 4-3 in Atlantic Sun Conference men's soccer at the Eakes Athletic Complex.

Vince Petrasso scored twice from the penalty spot for the Camels (4-6-1, 3-0-1), who won their third-straight match despite twice allowing the Bucs (1-6-3, 0-2-1 A-Sun) to equalize.

Penalty kicks accounted for four of the day's seven goals. ETSU held an 18-9 advantage in shots, but the Camels had six of their attempts on target, while only five of the Bucs' efforts were on goal.

"I think the only thing we have to be proud of today is the fact that we managed three points," said head coach Doug Hess. "We stopped playing in the second half, and ETSU got at us. It was good to hold on, but that's not how I want this program to play."

Campbell took the lead through the flow of play just 7:22 into the match. Jackson Ferrell sent a pass down the right flank to Terry, who crossed it into the box, where Pat Danford's far post header beat ETSU keeper Scott Rosman.

Guilherme Reis equalized in the 20th minute for ETSU after a foul in the box; then the Bucs threatened to go ahead in the 27th on Alesi Osorio's left-footed shot from outside the area that Camel keeper Ted Awana tipped over the bar for a corner.

In the 30th minute, Campbell senior Pat Danford dribbled into the ETSU box, but was fouled by Reis after he cut back. Petrasso connected on the penalty to put the Camels ahead.

Just two minutes later, a Camel corner kick fell to the feet of Khalil Johnson, but his left-footed blast from a sharp angle missed less than a foot wide of the left post. Johnson again had a chance to push the lead to a pair in the 42nd minute when Justin Smith's pass put him in alone with the keeper, but Rosman saved the Jamaican striker's chip attempt without stretching.

Rosman came off his line in the 45th minute and was whistled for a foul against Johnson. Petrasso again deposited the spot kick for a 3-1 lead with just 34 seconds remaining in the half.

A Ben Iiames handball in the box set up Reis' second penalty kick goal of the game in the 51st minute to draw the Bucs within 3-2. The score was level just 9:35 later when Aaron Schoenfeld's shot caromed off the left post and freshman Theo Yang slotted home the rebound for his first career goal.

The winning goal started when Camel back Austin Skakle headed a clearance to himself, turned and sent the ball over the top to Terry, who found himself alone with the keeper. The freshman from Carrollton, Texas lofted a soft shot over Rosman's charge for his second goal of the season.

The Camels weathered a flurry in the 84th minute when Kyle Franklin's shot rebounded to Matt Reed in the area, but ETSU's right back hit the left (far) post with his attempt and the ball was cleared.

Both Awana and Rosman finished with two saves on the day. Petrasso has seven points in CU's last two matches following an assists hat trick in Thursday's 4-1 victory over USC Upstate.

The Camels extended their unbeaten string in the month of October to 17-consecutive matches (15-0-2). CU has not lost in October since a 3-2 setback at Lipscomb on Oct. 13, 2007. CU also ran its record in Atlantic Sun Conference regular season play to 28-4-5 since the start of the 2005 campaign. CU is also unbeaten in its last 16 A-Sun regular season games (14-0-2).

Campbell returns to action Tuesday at second-ranked North Carolina in a 7:00 p.m. start.